About this Course
CompTIA® Security+® (Exam SY0-401) is the primary course you will need to take if your job responsibilities include securing network services, devices, and traffic in your organization. You can also take this course to prepare for the CompTIA Security+ certification examination. In this course, you will build on your knowledge of and professional experience with security fundamentals, networks, and organizational security as you acquire the specific skills required to implement basic security services on any type of computer network.
This course can benefit you in two ways. If you intend to pass the CompTIA Security+ (Exam SY0-401) certification examination, this course can be a significant part of your preparation. But certification is not the only key to professional success in the field of computer security. Today’s job market demands individuals with demonstrable skills, and the information and activities in this course can help you build your computer security skill set so that you can confidently perform your duties in any security-related role.
This course is targeted toward the information technology (IT) professional who has networking and administrative skills in Windows®-based Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) networks; familiarity with other operating systems, such as Mac OS X®, Unix, or Linux; and who wants to further a career in IT by acquiring foundational knowledge of security topics; prepare for the CompTIA Security+ certification examination; or use Security+ as the foundation for advanced security certifications or career roles..
To ensure your success in your course, you should possess basic Windows user skills and a fundamental understanding of computer and networking concepts. You can obtain this level of skills and knowledge by taking one of the following courses:
- Using Microsoft® Windows® 8.1
- Microsoft® Windows® 8.1 Transition from Windows® 7
- CompTIA A+ and Network+ certifications, or equivalent knowledge, and six to nine months experience in networking, including configuring security parameters, are strongly recommended. Students can obtain this level of skill and knowledge by taking any of the following courses:
- CompTIA® A+®: A Comprehensive Approach (Exams 220-801 and 220-802)
- CompTIA® Network+® (Exam N10-005)
Additional introductory courses or work experience in application development and programming, or in network and operating system administration for any software platform or system are helpful but not required.
At Course Completion
In this course, you will implement, monitor, and troubleshoot infrastructure, application, information, and operational security. You will:
- Identify the fundamental concepts of computer security.
- Identify security threats and vulnerabilities.
- Manage data, application, and host security.
- Implement network security.
- Identify and implement access control and account management security measures.
- Manage certificates.
- Identify and implement compliance and operational security measures.
- Manage risk.
- Troubleshoot and manage security incidents.
- Plan for business continuity and disaster recovery.